Prof. (Dr.) Krishan Kumar Rattu
D.Litt., Ph.D, IBS, Former Deputy Director General, Doordarshan, Prasar Bharati, Govt. Of India
• Served in the Indian Broadcasting Service (I.B.S) under Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Govt. of India with 35 years of Administrative and Leadership Experience in Strategic Media Management and Production especially in News and Current Affairs, Direction, Production, Writing, Mass Media & Communication and Journalism. Prior to being selected by UPSC, worked in BBC, London, UK in its South Asia News desk.
• After retiring joined DAV University, Jalandhar as Director (media) and Professor/Head in the department of Journalism and Mass Communication. I worked there for 3 years .
• Consultant academic CCRT , Ministry of Culture , Govt. of India
• D.Litt. from The Intercultural Open University, Opeinde, Netherlands on the ‘International contexts of Jihad and Terrorism in a Global Perspective’. Successfully completed Strategic Management of Television Course from country’s premier FTII (Film & Television Institute of India), Pune.
• Member of Syllabus and Curriculum development committee of Central Universities of Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan and Manipur for the programmes on Media, Journalism and Mass Communication. Engaged as an Examiner for Ph.D. and Masters courses in Media and Journalism in IGNOU, New Delhi and University of Manipur.
• Author of more than 70 Multi-lingual books in English, Hindi, Punjabi and Urdu including many National Award winning books on various subjects of media, language, literature and different social aspects.
• Well known for the foremost and monumental research work on ‘Hindi of Television’. Specialization on electronic media with pioneering research work on the usage of Functional Hindi Language in Television. It is the only pioneer thesis among all the Indian universities so far on the Language of Television with special reference to various uses of Functional Hindi in Doordarshan.
• Highest award for Journalism and Media by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Govt. of India Bhartendu Harish Chandra Award for ‘Media Revolution and Changing Social Aesthetics’, Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Award by the Ministry of Home Affairs , Govt. of India for ‘Functional Hindi’, Best Book of 2013 Award by Language Dept., Govt of Punjab for ‘Sadak Sansad Te Aadmi’, Best Contribution to Urdu Literature Award by Haryana Urdu Academy, Govt of Haryana for ‘Lahoo Ki Baarish’ and Gandhi Darshan Smriti Award by Madhya Pradesh Vidhan Sabha.
• Recently awarded “ Chankya Media Awards,2018“ in the Literature and Communication section by Public Relation Council Of India.
• Recently given “ PRSI National Award for Contribution to Mass Communication Education In India “ By PRSI in 20180, Dehradhun .
• Many books find place in the syllabi of premier universities and are taught across the country.
• Penned a large number of Edit Page articles as a regular noted columnist for leading Newspapers, Magazines. Journals and Papers of National and International reputation including but not limited to The Hindu, Hindustan Times, India Today, The Tribune, Dainik Bhaskar, Navbharat Times, Amar Ujaala et al. A number of writings have been translated into foreign languages.
• Production of many award winning documentaries, television programmes, Live Shows and Live Coverage of Indian National Games and Lok Sabha Elections including special series on Punjab. Feature Films on Punjab, Kashmir and Northeast were the most popular. Produced and directed more than 121 documentaries of national acclaim on various subjects for various DD Channels/National Channels and others.
• Regularly invited as a Media Expert, Resource Person and Guest Faculty in country’s reputed universities, media institutions and training workshops. Presented research papers at International and National Seminars. Served as a Visiting Professor in a number of Indian Universities on Language of Media, Broadcasting Journalism, Television & Hindi language and Functional Hindi in Indian Television.
• Delivered lectures in a number of international seminars including at F.T.I.I, Pune, India-France Writers Conference in Paris, France, Tribhuwan University, Kathmandu (Nepal), Max-Muller Bhawan, Govt. of Germany, New Delhi and World Writer’s Conference, London, UK.
• Also invited by different Govt. of India ministries including CCRT, Ministry of Culture, Kendriya Hindi Sansthan & National Book Trust, Ministry of HRD, Indian Institute of Petroleum, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), DRDO, Ministry of Defense, Bureau of Indian Standards, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution and Forest Research Institute, Ministry of Environment and Forests.